We both feel a little funny about the whole registry thing. Please do not feel obligated at all to get us a gift, but if you *really* want to get us something, we've picked out a few things we would enjoy having in our home.
EAST COAST CELEBRATION - October 21, 2017
All of the action will be in North East, Maryland.
HOTEL: Holiday Inn: 101 Hotel Plaza, North East, MD 21901
PARTY: North East River Yacht Club is: 80 Bayside Dr, North East, MD 21901.
- Car: I-95, exit 100A for North East, MD. The Holiday Inn is just off the exit to the right. Continue straight to get to downtown North East in just a couple of miles. The North East River Yacht Club is just a couple of miles further, past downtown and located at 80 Bayside Dr, North East, MD 21901.
- Train: Amtrak brings you to Wilmington, DE - about 20 minute drive to North East. Let us know if you are coming by train and we can try to arrange carpools!
- Plane: Baltimore or Philadelphia are equidistant.
- Shuttle: to and from the party. The yacht club is only about 4 miles from the hotel, but if you will be drinking, please take the shuttle from the hotel to and from the North East River Yacht Club. The shuttle will pick up at 3:45pm and leave the Yacht Club at 8:00pm. If you prefer to drive, please drink responsibly.
- Look lovely, feel comfortable, be yourself. We have a beautiful indoor space with lots of windows overlooking the river, and the party may spill out onto the lawn to the docks along the river. Think fall... think late afternoon / early evening cocktail attire.
- Bring a pair of sneakers for a hike on Sunday morning!
Hotel: A block of rooms have been reserved under the Faulkner / Cacho wedding at the Holiday Inn Express North East for Friday and Saturday nights, October 20 and 21. Make your reservation ASAP, by October 1, to get the discounted room rates: $108 for 2 queen beds and $121 for a king bed or king suite.
- 410.287.0008 | email@example.com
- 101 Hotel Plaza, North East, MD 21901
- 3:45pm - Shuttle leaves from Holiday Inn
- 4:00 - 5:00pm - Cocktail Hour
- 5:00 - 6:00pm - Dinner
- 6:00 - 7:00pm - Kelley + Matt Trivia contest, Live Music, and Toasts
- 7:00 - 8:00pm - Dancing, Dessert and Fun Times
- 8:00pm - Shuttle pick up and return to Holiday Inn
- Hike: 8:00AM meet in the lobby of the Holiday Inn to go on the classic hike out to Turkey Point.
- Breakfast: 9:30AM re-live the fun over continental breakfast at the Holiday Inn!
OTHER FUN THINGS TO DO
North East, MD is a small, quaint, colonial town at the northern-most point of the Chesapeake Bay. Main Street is home to several cute shops, great antique stores, and restaurants including the legendary Woody's Crab House on Main Street. Just beyond Main street, there is the lovely North East Park where you can stretch your legs and walk along the river. If you'd like a little more of a hike, keep going through town and out the main highway about 10 miles to Elk Neck State Park - Turkey Point Hike. It's only about 2 miles out and back, but there is a nice trail and you are rewarded with a lighthouse and expansive views of the river.
If you feel like exploring beyond North East, check out nearby Havre de Grace near the Susquehanna River and State Park or Plumpton Park Zoo, in Rising Sun. Or, if you are looking to do some serious tax free shopping in Maryland's neighboring state of Delaware, stop off at Wilmington's Independence Mall or visit Matt's birthplace, Newark, DE, also home of the University of Delaware.
If you're seeking more urban adventures, Baltimore and Philadelphia are both about 1 hour away and have all kinds of great arts, culture, and cheese steaks. 🙂
West coast - wedding ceremony and reception details
Where are you having the ceremony and reception?
Ceremony: We will be having the ceremony at The Lafayette Reservoir. When facing the reservoir, the ceremony will be to the left end of the main parking lot. Follow the walking path up a short hill (75 yards) to the Stage Site area overlooking the water. We'll have some signage up and music playing and you won't be able to miss it.
Reception: The reception will be in our backyard at 3609 Walnut Street, immediately following the ceremony and should be ready to go by 5:45pm.
Kelley and Matt will be staying at the reservoir for about a half an hour to take some photos with family, but the party will be set and ready to start whenever the ceremony wraps up and we are hoping to be back to the house by 6:30pm.
How do we get to Lafayette / The Reservoir?
If at all possible, we highly recommend taking the train (BART) or plan to get out to the east bay a little earlier to avoid the nasty rush hour traffic. There are lots of great hikes, shops and restaurants in Lafayette and Walnut Creek, so if you have the time, you could easily make a day or a nice afternoon of it!
- If you are coming to the ceremony, you will probably want to travel by car or bring some comfy shoes, as it's a bit of a walk from BART to the Reservoir with a decent hill as you enter the park.
- Lyft and Uber work out here, but not as frequently as in the city, so give yourself some extra time.
- If you are just coming to the reception, BART is a great option as it's an easy walk to our house.
Train: BART - take the yellow Pittsburg / Bay Point line to Lafayette. We're about 35 minutes from downtown SF or 40 minutes from Oakland Airport. The reservoir is a mile from the station and a 25 minute walk. Our home is a 10 minute walk from BART.
Car: take highway 24 towards Walnut Creek. Just a little east past Orinda, exit onto Diablo Blvd. Head towards Lafayette and take a sharp right into Lafayette Reservoir. Go up the steep, windy hill and look for the main entry gate.
Our house, 3609 Walnut Street, is just about a mile away from the reservoir, further east on Mt. Diablo Boulevard, turn right on Dewing Ave (by the Chase Bank) and make your 3rd right onto Walnut Street, house will be on the left hand side.
Parking: At the Reservoir you will have two paid parking options. There are limited spaces for short-term parking ($1.50 / hour) or you can park in the main lot, where there is usually ample parking, for a flat $7 for the whole day.
At our house, there should be plenty of street parking in our neighborhood, but if you are having trouble finding a spot, there is a lot just a few blocks away in the shopping center just off of Mt. Diablo Blvd and Dewing Ave.
Plane: either Oakland (OAK) or San Francisco (SFO). SFO is a little further but not by much. Trains go from either airport directly to Lafayette.
What should we wear?
Park-friendly fancy fantastic! Lafayette is usually 10 to 15 degrees warmer than San Francisco or Oakland. Temperatures drop as the sun goes down so layers are always smart.
WHICH EVENT SHOULD I ATTEND
We have two parties planned - one in California on Wednesday, August 30, and one in Maryland, on Saturday, October 21.
Our intention was to minimize travel time and expense for our friends and family, so please choose which ever one is more convenient for you. We will have the official ceremony in California, but it will be fairly casual - on a Wednesday evening, with the reception in our backyard. The party in Maryland will be on a Saturday afternoon. With Amtrak nearby in Wilmington, Delaware, friends and family could make it in and out for the day, or feel free to come in on Friday and spend the night on Saturday and make a weekend out of it! The towns of North East and nearby Havre de Grace are darling, and there is some great hiking nearby!
Where are you going for your honeymoon?
Italy! Turin - Florence - Tuscany - Siena - San Gimignano - Cinque Terre - Milan
When is it?
April 23 - May 4, 2017.
Wait - isn't that before you are officially married?
Yes it is! Once again, we aren't going by the book on this one;)
Since we are taking time off at the end of the summer for our destination wedding and our east coast wedding celebration in the fall, we realized we probably wouldn't have the time to go anywhere for a while... and then this lovely opportunity presented itself through my amazing cousin, Becca, and her husband, Dani, who invited us to visit them in Italy this spring... so Carpe Diem! Call it what you like, but we're calling it a honeymoon. 🙂